Sunday, January 31, 2021

Can Rich People Make It Into Heaven?


The Bible says (Mark 10:25), "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." Does this mean that rich people aren't meant for heaven? Part of me certainly hopes not.

I wouldn't mind being rich, myself -- what was it Tevye says? "Would it spoil some vast eternal plan if I were a wealthy man?" 


While Tevye sings about the prospect of being rich, he first imagines life becoming easier. And then he imagines building great things -- in other words, doing good things with his money. Then he quickly moves to imagining the wife being spoiled, yelling at servants, and finally imagining himself as a Wise Man that people come to. He says, "It won't make one bit of difference if I answer right or wrong. When you're rich, they think you really know."

And suddenly he comes back down to earth, saying he would then have more time to pray and discuss scripture with learned men in Jerusalem -- the "sweetest thing of all."

It's interesting how he moves from deliverance, to well intentions, to greed, and then lastly his heart's truest desire.

I think of my own true desire -- if I didn't have to work my day job, I could spend a lot more time changing the world through my music, fiction and non-fiction writing. I worked out that if I had five million dollars, I could just live off of growth for the rest of my life and concentrate on what I love the most.

But then wouldn't I, similar to Tevye, also want to move into that rich gated community? Or use my money to put together an orchestra, or something big to benefit the world? Would I be able to resist the temptation to fall into the traps of greed?

I'm thinking of many rich people that I know (you meet a lot in my line of work), and most of them seem to have one thing in common -- they tend to be atheist or agnostic. And if you bring up religion, they'll be interested to listen, but then it's pretty clear that they have no interest in it. They see it as unnecessary, because why would you need religion when you already have everything you need? Yet, most of these peeps tend to be good, honest people.

But then again, there are a chunk of rich people I know who maintain their religion. I know them from my church -- so yes, I realize it's a biased sample. Though, we Latter-day Saints do seem to attract rich people. Our religion doesn't condemn wealth, but it does promote self-reliance and good stewardship of what you own. For example, it would not be good to be yelling at all your servants. Also, religious rich people tend to give more to charity than do non-religious people.

Bill Gates is one example. I didn't know this, but he's a practicing Catholic, and has raised his children in the Church, and he praises the "moral systems of religion." He is so rich that he can do this ...


Yeah, living on just 1% interest alone, he could earn enough money for a Lamborghini in about an hour. That's crazy rich. And he seems to have trouble spending all that money. He has pledged to donate 95% of his wealth to several different causes, and he's still working on it.

Other famous rich people likewise give a large chunk to charity: Jeff Bezos (religion unknown), Elon Musk (agnostic).

Do any of these good-doers have a shot at heaven? I would like to think so, especially with how much good was accomplished with what they've done with their money.

What about the stingier billionaires like Donald Trump who don't donate as much to charity? I wouldn't too quick to judge, as these billionaires could still be helping some people, whether it be through creating jobs or more directed charity (like Oprah buying really expensive presents for lots of people).

It all certainly gives me a lot to think about. I would hate to not be rich for the fear of missing out on heaven. I think it's what you do with that money that determines your shot at heaven. Are you yelling at your servants? Probably not good. Are you providing lots of jobs and opportunities? Maybe getting better. Are you remembering God at all times? Increasing the chances.

Either way, I'd certainly be willing to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment