Sunday, November 28, 2021

Introducing the Adventures of Elder Elder and Elder Benjamin


While serving in Pusan Korea Mission in the late 1980s, Elder Elder and Elder Benjamin experience many exciting and crazy adventures. Miracles, shenanigans, conversions, and even mishaps abound.

These partially fictional accounts come from my own real-life experiences in Korea. I'd say around 95% of what you're about to read actually did happen. I only changed the names and took several literary liberties.

In particular, I really did have a favorite companion -- a fact known by practically all the other missionaries who served with me. I was with him for five months in Taegu, and it really was the best five months out of the "best two years of my life." We were as crazy as I make it sound -- a force to be reckoned with -- missionaries who caught the attention of the Korean people and who successfully planted many seeds. However, in these stories, I also borrow from other times in my mission. 

All of my companions were great, and some of them may make appearances in some form, but for convenience, they are all merged together into Elder Benjamin.

I also went on a split once with an actual Elder Elder. Even though he doesn't really appear in this set of stories, I've decided to swipe his name to represent myself, because it's definitely a cool name. It's up there with Bishop Bishop.

These stories should hopefully bring back good memories for those who served missions. And for those who don't belong to my church, I hope these stories provide deep insights into what it's like to serve a mission. They can help answer the question: what was I doing for two years?

Enjoy! As I write more stories, they will all appear here (in semi-chronological order):










No comments:

Post a Comment