Sunday, October 4, 2020

Conference Report - Oct 2020

For this week's spiritual thought, I'll give a quick report from my church's October General Conference, which ended about 10 minutes ago from the time I started writing. For those of you not familiar with these conferences, we hold these twice a year ... first Sunday in April and first Sunday in October. Usually these are held in the Conference Center in Salt Lake City and broadcast throughout the world simultaneously (complete with language translations and sign languaging, too).

This is the second session impacted by COVID-19. Usually these conferences attract thousands of attendees, but this year, both conferences were held in a small room with zero attendees, also featuring previously recorded broadcasts of the previously-named Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

This, of all conferences I've witnessed, has been the most political I've ever seen. This is most likely because of the political upheaval the US has suffered throughout this year. Topics included...
  • COVID-19: this has been a source of much tribulation and disruption, whether it be from sickness, death, or cancelled activities and loneliness. Most of the talks that touched on this centered around the ideas that we're being tested, we're becoming stronger through tribulation, we're receiving opportunities to serve others in their times of need, we're having more opportunities to worship at home with the help of "Come Follow Me," and some families are becoming closer to God. One talk (Elder Holland?) came very close to what I wanted to hear ... that we should follow the promptings of our governments and work together to shorten the duration -- that we're being tested in our response, but it didn't quite hit. Instead, most of the talks seemed to treat COVID-19 as something we can't do much about, like a flood, or fires. 
  • Racism: in light of recent happenings, it was made clear several times that we are all equal, regardless of the color of our skin. Racism against black people is real and we should take steps to continue eradicating it. And also racism against Asians, Mexicans, and other races.
  • Peaceful protests: It is more than appropriate to hold peaceful protests -- in the first session, somebody also said that we should not take away the right to peacefully protest.
  • Violent protests: In the US it is inappropriate to have violent protests, as we have avenues to peacefully influence laws and change things peacefully.
  • The election: We must have an unencumbered voting process, we must peacefully accept the results, and we must have a peaceful transition (if needed).
  • The Constitution: It was inspired by God by imperfect people, but it has provided us with the freedoms that we enjoy, and we should strive to maintain the Constitution and its freedoms.
And then there were the big topics that were repeated several times in conjunction with everything above:
  • We must have patience. God allows tribulations for our own good, and with patience, we come out stronger and more experienced.
  • Love one another. Recent events have deepened the divide of our nation greatly. We must learn to "love our enemy" and those who "despitefully use us." We are in desperate need of healing and renewed unity. Loving is the greatest commandment, and as we exhibit it, people will listen to us and we can then begin to work together.
  • Remember God and turn to Him. Even though the world has changed, our relationship with God should remain the same. We can still offer up our prayers. We can still go back to church (when possible). We can listen to the answers to our prayers even if we don't like the answers or the timing.
Overall, it seems the leaders of our church are very concerned with all the negativity hitting us, and the negativity we've been exhibiting toward each other.

The message that I got specific to me: It's okay for me to voice my opinions and participate in all the political discussions, but I must remember to love everyone ... don't get angry, and respect everyone's opinions.

As for COVID-19, specifically, where I'm most frustrated, I need to let go the anger and frustration ... though, I'm not sure how to do that yet. I could be nicer toward people. Or in my presentations, I could be a little less emotional, and stick more to presentation of the facts and helpful tips. I do want to help save lives, and I do want us to get back to normal as quickly as possible -- and though I know how to get there, I need to remember to have patience with all my friends. Be happy. Love the life that I have. Do the best I can do, personally, and keep on looking toward the time when we all come out of this stronger and wiser.

What did you get out of Conference?

No comments:

Post a Comment