Monday, December 10, 2018

Self Reliance Principle #9: Seek Learning


The next principle (#9) of Self Reliance looks like another lesson from The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. If you want to get where you want to go, you must first figure out where you want to go, and then figure out how to get there.

First, it helps to formulate a life's mission. What are your desires? What would you like to accomplish? When you come to the end of your life, what would you like to see when you look back, such that you will be able to say, "I had a good life"?

I know. It sounds corny, but it doesn't need to be anything fancy -- just anything you want to write down. It can be changed at any time.

For me, it's to maximize my music and fiction output so as to become a good influence in other people's lives.

Next, you must set goals to help you carry out the life's mission. These can be large goals, small goals, or sub-goals, or even goals of tangental things you want to accomplish, even if it doesn't directly relate to your life's mission.

The Self Reliance lesson manual lists 5 characteristics of a good goal:

#1) Specific and measurable.
#2) Written down and displayed.
#3) Have completion times.
#4) Require specific actions to accomplish.
#5) Constantly reviewed and updated.

My life coach gives another set of 5 characteristics that are very similar. Perhaps you'll like this list better:

Specific
Measurable
Action Oriented
Realistic
Time Based

With this in mind, an incomplete goal would be: "I want to lose weight." Without specific numbers in mind, you probably won't lose much weight.

A better, but still incomplete goal would be: "I want to lose 20 pounds." Without a time limit, you could be on this diet forever, get frustrated, and stop.

A bad goal would be: "I want to lose 20 pounds in 1 week," as it is unrealistic.

A perfect goal would be: "I want to lose 20 pounds in 4 months." This goal is specific, measurable, actionable, realistic, and time bound. If you write it down and constantly review and update as needed, then you're well on your way.

Finally, the manual suggests finding a mentor to help keep you in line. This is exactly what I had decided to do about three years ago. I found and hired a life coach, and he helped me to align my priorities. It's helped me to start my own business and to push forward in growing that business. It's helped me to reach out to colleagues and learn valuable information.

As a result, I am now much closer to carrying out my life's mission. I still meet with my life coach, as there's still a long way to go.

So, if you want fulfillment in this life -- figure out how to get there. Do the necessary research. Learn what you have to do. Enlist friends and colleagues to help you in your quest. And never give up!

No comments:

Post a Comment