Sunday, December 6, 2020

Wisdom and Smarts


For this week's spiritual thoughts, I figured I'd do a quick follow-up to last week's thoughts on science.

Last week I mentioned the word "smart" several times. To me, this word means increasing the power of your brain, using critical thinking, holding knowledge and always searching for more, and so on. It's the whole concept of exercising the brain like a muscle, so that it becomes stronger. Einstein was smart, and he was able to figure out some of the most complicated theories with crazy math. Practically every technological advancement comes from smart people figuring things out. 

So, a few years ago, I gave a talk at church. I talked about being smart and falling into the "smart" trap. This happens often with people who intentionally choose a "smart" path in their careers, meaning one that uses math, science, or logic. Then along the way, they feel that they've figured out the world and suddenly find that God no longer fits, and then a belief in God turns into a weakness. Often it's because of the idea of: "There is much I can prove in life -- it all makes sense. But God cannot be proven. I don't need Him in my grand scheme of things."

I then went on to say ... but if you're truly "smart," then you'll see the trap, and then you'll know how to avoid it. And you end up having the best of both worlds -- which is the situation I find myself in today. Religion does not interfere with my "smart" career, but it does enhance my career, as religious principles help me in my interactions with others, and that helps me get ahead. I also find on the flip side that my smartness actually enhances my spiritual belief as well. That's a very long discussion, and eventually I'll out with most of it in that upcoming book I'll finish years from now.

But seeing the trap is not really being "smart." (I'm only putting quotes around this word to emphasize something important. I'll admit to my grammarian friends that I'm being lazy -- I just got 10 more minutes to finish this -- and these thoughts are typed out very quickly.) It is something that is better described as "wisdom."

Smartness is figuring things out. Wisdom is being able to analyze what you know and then making the most beneficial decisions. While being smart helps you know what to do, wisdom helps you to understand why and sometimes how.

A perfect example would again be Einstein, who was incredibly smart, but didn't always make the wisest decisions -- especially when it came to women. Though, it was definitely wisdom when he left Germany, wisdom when he warned against using nuclear bombs, and then wisdom when he told the US now was the time to build nuclear bombs.

When you have wisdom, you are then making better choices -- being able to rely on experiences of other people -- doing what you think makes the best outcome. So, is wisdom enough to perfect your life?

According to Bible ... maybe not so much. Solomon was called the wisest man who ever lived and who would ever live ... which has made me jealous many times. But yet, he allowed Gentile women to lead him away from God.

So, if the wisest guy ever failed, then perhaps wisdom isn't enough? But then what is? I'm still trying to figure this out. I think he just lost his wisdom when his thoughts were corrupted by his wives. 

But now I'm out of time. Feel free to make comments and sometime in the future we can analyze this some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment