Sunday, January 24, 2021

Can Busy People Have the Spirit?


I'm annoyed today, because this has been a rough weekend at work -- such that it has even spilled into my Sunday, interrupting my usual Sunday activities, and it wasn't because of something I did or failed to do. It just happened.

But I do notice that when this happens, I get exhausted -- like super tired. Then Monday comes and I realize that I really didn't get any rest. And as a result, I can feel as if my spirituality has dropped. I had to do "Gentile" stuffs on the Sabbath, and it distracted me.

On the other hand, I'm naturally a busy type of guy. If work doesn't fill up my time, I'll figure out ways to fill it up with my own activities. As I've recently said in another blog, I hate being bored. Perhaps my own desire to be busy bogs me down sometimes?

And then I imagine the CEO of my company, who I believe is a devout Christian. If I have to do work on an occasional Sunday, you gotta guess that he's living the company every hour of every day, and it makes me ask ...

Is it possible for a busy person to have the Spirit?

A quick search on the internets to see what the Bible has to say:

Luke 10:38-42 -- Jesus is being entertained by Mary and Martha. Martha's in the kitchen working hard, while Mary is listening to Jesus' stories. Martha complains: shouldn't Mary be in the kitchen helping me? And Jesus answers: Mary has chosen the better part.

James 1:2 -- Count it all joy when you meet all kinds of trials.

Luke 12:27-28 -- Consider the lilies -- God will take care of you.

Isaiah 41:10 -- Fear not, God is with you and will strengthen you.

1 Timothy 5:13 -- busybodies are idlers going from house to house spreading gossip.

Luke 1:37 -- nothing is impossible with God.

Jeremiah 29:11 -- God has plans for us to give us a future and a hope.

Galatians 6:9 -- Do not grow weary of doing good, because we reap what we sow.

... and plenty of scriptures on "peace be still."

So, I guess there are so many aspects to consider. We don't want to be busy just for busyness' sake. (BTW -- I didn't realize that busyness was a real word.) I see it at work all the time -- especially when I give someone a process to help cut down their hours, and they find something else to fill up their time.

Yet, we should never be weary of doing good works. This is what I'm always trying to do -- especially now that I'm past 50 and I know my time on Earth is limited. I now have this strange desire to want to do things that will help the world instead of just myself (or my bosses).

And perhaps most comforting -- if you're anything like me, you probably feel sometimes that you have no choice but to work so hard. You're just trying to keep your head above the water. And yet we have all these scriptures that God is still with us, and he will give us aid. He can lighten our burdens and calm the storms in our lives.

So -- yes, even when busyness is often self-inflicted, I think it's possible to have the Spirit. But, we have to do our part. Whether it be to always have a prayer in our heart, or if we consciously decide to stop for a moment to remember God and our purpose on Earth. It's very possible to maintain the Spirit.

What are your own experiences with being busy?

No comments:

Post a Comment