Sunday, March 2, 2014

To Reference or Not To Reference

Before I go too far with my book, I must answer these question.  Do I want to include references?  And to what extent?

As a work of non-fiction, it's sometimes useful to show references to identify where certain ideas/facts come from.  But too many references, and it begins to read like a scholarly paper.  Plus it takes a long time to collect all the details and format each reference, and is by far my least favorite part of doing any kind of research.

I see my book as an informal narrative, seeking to casually discuss different religious ideas.  By no means is it meant to be a rigorous analysis or a ironclad, irrefutable proof of my church's veracity (something, by the way, that I'll later prove to be impossible).  Thus, I will not bog down my book with all kinds of footnotes and distracting pinpoint references. On the other hand, I can't just give you all nothing.  I have to at least give credit where it's due, and leave bread crumbs for some parts you may wish to verify on your own.

I think the best compromise would be for me to provide informal references.  I'll always give scripture verses when applicable.  But every now and then, I may parenthetically reference someone else's work where you can go to get more information.  And hopefully they will not get in the way of the discussion.

2 comments:

  1. Some books reference themselves.
    I was thinking that I can compile a book (book one) that lists all books that reference themselves.
    And a second book (book two) that lists books that don't reference themselves.
    I can even list book one within book one.
    But where do I list book two?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, we'll have to ask our friend Mr. Russell!

    ReplyDelete