Sunday, May 9, 2021

Personal Revelation From God


One of my church's main doctrines is that revelation continues even today. My understanding is that most Christian denominations teach that revelation has come to an end -- that the Bible contains all the revelation we need to tide us over till Jesus' Second Coming. So, this article may highlight an important difference in our religions, but it also highlights the similarities.

The similarities: revelations are indeed important. They can let us know what to look for in the future. If we see the prophesied signs building up, we know to prepare, as we know what's coming next. The New Testament speaks a lot of how Jesus Christ fulfilled many Old Testament prophecies. But there are yet many other revelations yet to be fulfilled -- some concerning how our world is to end. I talk about these end prophecies in an earlier post.

The differences: my church has even more revelations in the Book of Mormon -- some confirming what's in the Bible, and some providing additional information -- though, John remains the ultimate expert on the end of the world. The Doctrine & Covenants, which we are reading this year, also contains modern-day revelations provided to Joseph Smith and other church leaders -- some of which predict future events, and others which provide instruction as to how to govern the restored church.

My church also teaches something that may or may not be taught in other Christian denominations -- that we as individuals can receive our own personal revelation. We can ask for these when we pray, and God can provide us answers and instruction (through the power of the Holy Spirit). We can also receive unsolicited spontaneous revelation, which has happened to me often -- such as the inspiration for me to start my "Always Be Better" video series, and to start my own music publishing business. Though, "unsolicited" is perhaps not the right word -- as I usually receive these revelations when I'm already prepared to listen -- it's always consistent with topics I may have been recently thinking about.

In my discussions with people of other denominations, it seems that personal revelation is something possibly supported by their doctrine, though it may be called by other names.

If any non-religious readers get this far, I'm sure you don't believe in revelation at all -- that these are all internal feelings and self-confirming loops, etc. And some may point out that God "told" several serial killers to do their killing. There is indeed room for interesting conversation here. But from my own experience, these revelations do indeed feel "external" -- as if coming from outside influences other than from my own brain. And when I follow, good things seem to result.

My church also teaches that revelation can be imitated. That is, demons can provide inspiration and revelation that are false. In fact, in the moment we're reading now, the early Church is plagued with many members receiving contradictory revelations. Joseph Smith then receives revelation that clarifies how revelation itself works. One concept is that everyone receives true revelation that pertains to their own circle of influence. For example, God isn't going to reach out to me to give important instruction on how to run the Church when he could simply give the instruction to the leaders. But he can give me more directed instruction that relates much more directly to me. Also, I'm unlikely to receive revelation that is contrary to established doctrine.

So -- yes, there is plenty of opportunity for fun discussion, and I've had many on different forums. But I've found that when it comes down to it -- if you really want to understand revelation, it's best not to overthink things. If you're looking for guidance as to what to do next in life -- just ask God and he will answer. If you're in tune with the Spirit, you can even receive spontaneous warnings and suggestions -- that if you follow, will send you down the right path. So, whether or not your church teaches these concepts, I still encourage you to seek out these personal revelations and give them a try and see what happens -- test it out and see if you end up in a better place.

Good luck, and feel free to share your different experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment